Anxiety and Stress
What is Stress & Anxiety?
Stress is a normal reaction to everyday pressures but can become unhealthy when it upsets your day-to-day functioning. Here's the best science available on what happens to your body when stress hits and how to keep your stress at healthy, manageable levels. (American Psychology Association, 2020)
Anxiety is an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts, and physical changes like increased blood pressure. (American Psychology Association, 2020)
ULifeline-Online Resource for College Mental Health
ULifeline is a comprehensive, confidential, online resource center for college students regarding mental and emotional health.ULifeline @ HCC
Breathing & Relaxation Techniques
Breathing exercises are a good way to lower stress and move your mind & body away from the fight/flight/freeze response.
- Relaxation & Breathing Exercises (Audio), University of Houston
- "Square Breathing" by Destress Monday
- Modern Health offers free online Meditation Workshops Audio
- Audio Meditation Podcasts by Kaiser Permanente: Panic Attacks & Anxiety, Stress.
- "The 21 Best Meditation Podcasts to Listen to in 2020", Sara Lindberg, VeryWellMind.com
- Yoga & Meditation in Houston
List of Activities to Destress:
- Anxiety Worksheets, Centre for Clinical Interventions: Anxiety Symptoms Record, Breathing Rate Record, Diary, etc.
- Ginger Roots has several activities & guides to distress: unplugging, count your blessing, adapting to change, grounding your stress, mindfulness, judgment-free journaling, gratitude list, etc.
- Keep Your Mind Grounded Worksheets, Mental Health Network.
- "Stressed out? Here are 10 science-backed design tips for bringing serenity to your home." by Megan Bueger, Washington Post.
- "How to Combat 'Flight, Fight, & Freeze-Simple ways to short-circuit the body's response to stress" by Ashley Abramson, Elemental.
- Free Activities (Workouts, Yoga/Stretch, Dance, Art, Learning, Mental Health, Entertainment) by Medium
- Virtual Relaxation Room by University of Nevada, Reno
- Modern Health provides free virtual discussion-based sessions to cope & manage stress.
- Starling Minds provides free digital mental with programs for managing stress & anxiety from COVID-19.
- Online Stress Management Group (Cost: Free): Jewish Family Services
- Online Support Groups through Zoom Video Conference (Cost: Free)(https://www.spiritualityandhealth.org/mindbodygroups)
- Online Stress Management Group (Cost: Pay what you can): Ajana Therapy & Clinical Services
- To find support groups outside the U.S. go to Befrienders.
- Calm App
- Stress, American Psychology Association: Research, articles, news.
- Stress Screener, Mental Health America
- Coping with Stress by CDC
- Anxiety, American Psychology Association: Research, articles, news.
- Anxiety Information Sheets, Centre for Clinical Interventions
- Anxiety Disorders, National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety Check, Univ of Houston Counseling & Psychological Services
Contact an HCC Counselor
HCC Counselors are licensed-professionals with masters or doctoral degrees who offer free, time-limited, short-term counseling to currently enrolled students.
Contact a counselor to schedule an appointment todayCounselors @ HCC
The information provided by external resources - including third-party websites - is designed to provide helpful information on topics and community resources. HCC does not endorse or accept responsibility for the content, use, or availability of resources provided by external websites or agencies. HCC makes no representations as to the eligibility of any particular student to receive any benefit or the effects – such as those impacting immigration status – that accepting a resource may have on a student. Students in populations that may have specific additional needs are encouraged to seek advice from a relevant professional or reputable resources, such as immigration counsel or a qualified website.