Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for class?

You can search and enroll in classes using Eagle Online.  Click on the Class Search tile to search for classes and enroll.


How do I know what classes to take?

Your degree plan in the Catalog lists all the courses required to attain your degree.


What is an elective?

An elective course is a class outside of your major that supports your degree completion and allows students to take courses they might be interested in. Your degree plan in the Catalog lists which options satisfy the elective requirement and your Advisor can help you choose the best elective courses to take.


Does my GPA transfer?

No. HCC’s GPA is used for admission purposes


Does the higher grade replace the F/W/D?

Courses taken more than once are marked as a repeat. If a student repeats a course in which a grade (A-F) has been received, the highest grade received is the permanent grade for the course and will be used in computing the grade point average.


What is the difference between an AA, AS, or AAS?

Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) include the 42 credit hours of core courses most institutions throughout Texas require for a Bachelor’s degree. These are the degrees a student should consider if they are planning on transferring to a four-year college or university.  The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) is a workforce degree specific to the field of study. Depending on the plan, only three to eighteen of the AAS credits are transferrable to a bachelor’s degree.


Will Financial Aid loans cover my classes or do I need to pay first?

Please contact Financial Aid after enrolling to inform them that you are enrolled and they can assist in determining your financial aid eligibility.


Can I enroll in 2 programs at the same time?

No, unfortunately, HCC only allows a student to declare one major at a time


How do I review my degree requirements and go over what I need to do to graduate on time?

Students should meet with their assigned program advisors after completing 45 credit hours to determine whether they've met all requirements for their degree, including minimum number of total credits, GPA and, for transfer students, the minimum mandatory number of credits earned at the institution. 


How will my transfer credits be counted in my new school?

Every college/university maintains a different policy and rules for transfer credit. We encourage you to meet with a college admissions advisor at the transfer institution.  They can help you to understand which credits will transfer, what requirements those credits will fulfill as transfer credit, and what paperwork will the student need to complete to make it happen.


How do I access my degree plan?

You can access your degree plan in your student account by clicking on your “academic progress” tile with the pie chart > “academic progress” tab on left hand side.


What classes do I need to take next?

Meet with your Program Advisor to set your planner or use the transfer guide for the University of choice.


How many credits are considered full-time vs. part-time?

Full Time: A student enrolled in twelve credits or more during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters, or six credits or more during a mini-semester is considered to be a full-time student.   Part-time: Students enrolled in fewer than twelve credit hours during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters, or fewer than six credits during a mini semester are considered to be part-time.


What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

Dropping a class after the drop/add period has ended is considered a Withdrawal. You may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended with no grade penalty, however, you will not be eligible for a tuition refund and must still pay any outstanding balances owed to the college.  It is recommended that you speak with your assigned advisor prior to dropping a class.


How is my academic advisor assigned?

Your advisor is assigned based on the major/program plan and campus you chose on your admissions application.


Should I be advised even if it is not required?

Yes, it is recommended that students be advised early each semester for course planning and eligibility.


What do I do when I'm sick?

Within the course syllabus, most instructors address absences.  Most instructors excuse the absence if you can provide writing verification of illness from a doctor.  Excused absences do not, however, excuse you from the requirements of the course.  If you miss an exam because of illness, call or email your instructor before the absence.  Talk with your instructor immediately following an absence to get advice about making up missed work.


I'm struggling in a course. Where can I get help? Do you offer tutoring assistance?

We offer free one-on-one tutoring in-person at our campuses, real-time video conference tutoring, and Online asynchronous tutoring to current HCCS students. Faculty tutors, peer tutors, and lab assistants are available to help with English, Math, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Accounting, Spanish, INRW, ESOL, and much more.


How to locate and search for department/faculty/staff information via the “contact us” page?

Use the “contact us” page to locate department/faculty/staff information


Can you an Advisor add me back to that class I was dropped from?

No, Advisors do not have the ability to reinstate students back into classes under any condition. To determine if you can be reinstated into a class, a student must speak with Enrollment services.