Certified Prevention Specialist Admissions Guide
CERTIFIED PREVENTION SPECIALIST (CPS)
Occupational Skills Award
(Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admissions)
|Term||Applications Accepted||Application Review||
Student Notified of
Program Duration, Study Mode and Class Schedule Information
|Program Duration (Number of Semesters)||Study Mode|
|Full Time: N/A||Part Time: 3 Semesters||Onsite and Practium Site|
- This program is delivered online only at this time. Please visit https://www.hccs.edu/campaigns/college-your-way/ for more information.
Program Admissions Statistics
This is an open admission program. Students who meet documentation and info session requirements are accepted.
Program Admission Requirements
- If you are new to Houston Community College (HCC) or transferring to HCC, your first step is to become an HCC Eagle by submitting a free admissions application to HCC. Please create a profile and complete the application to obtain an HCC student ID:https://goapplytexas.org/ . If you have filled out an HCC application at any point, or you already have an HCC student ID number, please do not submit another HCC Multiple HCC new student applications and/or ID numbers are not allowed and may impede you from progressing to the next steps of submitting a nursing program application.
- Please submit your official sealed (unopened) transcript(s) from high school, GED, and any other colleges and/or universities previously If you completed your prerequisite courses at HCC, you do not need to submit an official transcript. Transcripts should be submitted to HCC electronically. HCC accepts PDF transcripts directly from the service providers such as Credentials, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse. Official transcripts should be send to HCC electronically firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail: Houston Community College, Office of Admissions & Records, P.O. Box 667517, Houston, TX 77266-7517
- In order to determine your level of college readiness and placement status, you should also submit score reports from external tests like the SAT, ACT, AP, CLEP, IB, etc. Placements may be set from a variety of sources; please visit https://www.hccs.edu/resources-for/current-students/testing-services/texas-success-initiative-tsi--college- readiness- requirement/tsia-exemptions/ for more information. It is the responsibility of the student to allow enough time for evaluation of transcripts; please allow 6-8 weeks for evaluation and transfer of course credits.
- If you are an international student planning to attend HCC on a status F-1, (DACA, refugee, L visa, H visa, etc.), please visit at https://www.hccs.edu/support-services/international-students/admissions/. All foreign transcripts must be evaluated for US equivalency and foreign transcript must first be evaluated course-by course by an approved evaluating To find a list of approved evaluation companies under ‘Transfer Credits by Type – Foreign Credit Evaluators’, please visit: Foreign transcript/Foreign Credit Evaluator. Then the official evaluation report must be submitted to HCC. The HCC Internal process can take up to 8 weeks for evaluation and transfer of course credits.
- Veteran Students - Please visit:Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success | Houston Community College - HCC (hccs.edu).
- This is an open admission However, students must still meet documentation and program info session requirements. Please Click here to review and complete our online information session. If you have questions regarding the program information sessions, please contact via email at: email@example.com
- Register for classes.
- Schedule appointment with an Academic Advisor to set up a degree plan.
Program Application: Academic Course Requirements
Prerequisite GPA/Cumulative GPA
A TSI placement test is required if the applicant did not attend high school or college in the USA. A Proof of current enrollment or completion with a minimum grade of C must be earned for the below courses. Exempt if placement test scores or transcript indicate college-level reading, writing and math.
Tuition is estimated using the Texas resident rates. Out of district and out of state residents will have a higher tuition fees. Please visit http://www.hccs.edu/applying-and-paying/tuition-calculator/ for more information.
Due to increases/decreases in books and supplements, please check the book store website at https://hccs.bncollege.com/shop/hccs-central/home for updated cost information. Only required books are included in the estimate.
Estimated Costs – (In District)
|1st Semester (3 Semester Hours)|
|2nd Semester (3 Semester Hours)|
Pre-entrance to practicum
|3rd Semester (2 Semester Hours)|
This program is approved by the Texas Certification Board
Applicants for certification as a CPS must complete and satisfactorily score a passing grade on the IC&RC International Written Prevention Specialist Examination.
Social service agencies, hospitals and various community agencies
Entry-level salaries are in the range of $31,000 and $38,000
Do you need any further assistance? Please click here to visit the Academic Advising page for support services information as well as virtual lobby and in person assistance options.
For more information about healthcare careers and which program may be best for you, visit https://www.hccs.edu/programs/areas-of-study/health-sciences/