Frequently Asked Questions

Who should enroll?


Individuals interested in entry level positions working with young children


This course of study would not be appropriate for anyone who falls into the following category as noted by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. “No person with a conviction or who is under indictment for, or is the subject of an official criminal complaint alleging violation of any of the crimes listed as a felony against the person or felony violation of the Texas Controlled Substance Act may be present while children are in care.”

Program course synopsis - Formal training (120 hours) in the six CDA Competency Goals and 13 Functional Areas. CDEC 1017 Child Development Associate l 48 hrs. CDEC 1017 Child Development Associate ll 48 hrs. CDEC 1017 Child Development Associate lII 48 hrs.


What are the prerequisites?


High School Diploma or GED.

What is the cost of tuition - The cost is $345.00 per course not including books and materials.

Is there an attendance policy - Must attend at least 80% of scheduled class time.

Length of program - 6 months


What course materials do I need?

Please call the office for Course and Material Information at 713-718-6303.


How do I register?


Fill out the HCC Continuing Education Enrollment Form by clicking here 

  • Bring the Enrollment Form to an HCC School of Continuing Education Registration Office
  • Pay tuition at the time of registration (checks, credit cards, cash or money order accepted)
  • *Note: You will not be able to start classes if tuition has not been paid


Is there financial assistance available for the program?



Application Process:
Step 1:
Apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) if this is your first time applying for financial aid. Click here if you are a dependent student, your parent/guardian must also apply for a PIN. The PIN is used as an electronic signature to validate your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You do not need to request a new PIN each time you apply for financial aid. If you do not recall your PIN, you can request your PIN information by email or mail. Please keep your PIN in a secure place and do not divulge your information with others.

Step 2:
Complete the FAFSA online at https://fafsa.ed.gov/. In order for Houston Community College to determine your eligibility, you must complete a FAFSA each year you apply for financial aid. Houston Community College’s Title IV Federal School Code is 010422.

Step 3:
Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) within 3-5 business days via email or mail. The financial aid office will receive the same report within 1-2 weeks.

Step 4:
Contact Leslie Comfort at 713-718-6303 to discuss your program choice. Be prepared to provide information from your Student Aid Report (SAR).

Step 5: 
Determine your start date.

Step 6: 
Register for classes.


Where are classes held?


Central Campus. 1300 Holman, Houston, TX 77004.
Alief Campus, 13803 Bissonnet, Houston TX 77083.
West Loop Campus, 5601 West Loop South, Houston TX 77081.

How do I Become Credentialed?

The Council for Professional Recognition mandates the following:

• Must have a high school diploma, or equivalent, or you are a junior or senior in a high school vocational program in early education.
• Must be able to speak, read, and write well enough to perform the responsibilities of a CDA. Within the Last Five Years:
• Professional experience (480 hours)
   Must complete each course with a grade of “C” or better to receive a certificate within the Last Twelve Months:
• Observation
• Portfolio
• Parent Opinion Questionnaires


Is the formal training transferrable to an Associate’s Degree in Child Development?


Yes, the Houston Community College Early Childhood Program will award six academics credit if the following are met:

• Successful completion of each course
• CDA Credential awarded by the Council for Professional recognition

How do I become a Director of a licensed child care facility? 

Obtain a copy of Minimum Standards for Day care Centers in Texas at the Department of Family and Protective Services. You may also call the Child care Licensing Division of Department of Public And Regulatory Services at 713 940 5200 for additional information. Director qualifications are a combination of education and experience.

What type of job will I get with a CDA? - Teacher Assistant in a daycare or pre-k environment.


Do you provide job placement?


As an HCC Student, you have access to The Career Planning Resource staff, and the Virtual Career Center. (VCC)

Career Planning Advisors:
Central College-713 718 6176
Northwest College-713-718-5802
Southwest College-713-718-7718
Southeast College-713-718-6826
Northeast College-713-718-5291

How much money will I make - $9.00-$17.00/hr.

Where can I find a job - Preschools, Child Care Centers, Religious and Community Centers and Self-Employment.