Paying Bills, Cell Phone, Internet
- HCC Emergency Help: Whatever the case may be, we have resources to help you not let a financial emergency take your attention away from school. Current students facing financial emergencies during the semester due to COVID-19 or other reasons are encouraged to apply for available emergency aid based on need eligibility requirements.
- HCC Financial Coaches connect you with on-campus and community resources that will help you push through financial emergencies; make refunds last longer, and start making steps toward financial security.
- HCC Scholarships: In addition to federal and state aid, scholarships are a great way to help with the cost of your education. We encourage you to learn about the different types of scholarships awarded by financial aid, the HCC Foundation, and outside groups.
- HCC Financial Aid: Financial aid is available to help eligible part-time and full-time students pay for college. It can be a combination of scholarships, grants, loans, and Work-Study.
Cell Phone & Low-Cost Internet
- Free Cell Phone Service & Phone (Lifeline)
- Low-Cost Home Internet
- Free Mobile Hotspot Loaners @ HCC Library (contact for availability)
- Free Wifi
Electricity, Gas & Utilities
Contact your utility companies (electric, gas, and water) to inquire about any savings programs, which may vary by municipality or state. Once you sign up for their program, you may be eligible to get subsidies to pay for other bills.
- Public Utility Commission COVID-19 Electricity & Water Assistance
- Electricity & Gas Utility Assistance (Baker Ripley Program)
- Harris County Assistance Program: Other Utility Help
- Katy Christian Ministries
- MAM Houston Rent & Utility Assistance
- Rental, Utilities, Childcare & Transportation Expenses (Raise Up Families)
- Rental, Mortgage & Utility Assistance Program for Fort Bend County-Covid 19
- "8 Houston Utility Assistance Programs to Help You Pay Your Light Bill" by HoustonCaseManagers.com
Technology, School Supplies & Other Needs
- $100 one-time discount to purchase of laptop, desktop computer, or tablet (Federal Program)
- HCC Student Technology Resources
- Student Discount Laptops by Notebooks for Students
- Affordable Computer Access for All by PCs for People
- Low-Cost Computer by Jumponit! Program
- Free School Supplies for Pre-K to College-PaperPencilPen
- HCC Counselors may also have additional resources. Please contact any HCC counselor for more information.
- Community Resource Center @ Memorial Hermann
- Greater Heights: 713.314.8100 @ 1740 West 27th St, Suite 331, Houston, TX 77007 (MHResourceCenterGH@memorialhermann.org)
- Southwest: 713.456.6814 @ 7777 Southwest Freeway, Suite 110, Houston, TX 77074 (MHResourceCenter@memorialhermann.org)
- Assists Community with Applying for SNAP, Medicaid, CHIP, TANF, Gold Card, Food & Social Service Resources (Legal, Basic Needs, Financial, Behavioral Health, Transportation, Employment, etc
Credit Card & Creditors
Call your creditors (anyone you owe money to) and the companies that send you bills to see if you can get your payments stopped or reduced. Be sure to inform them that you are a college student and any circumstances that reduce your ability to pay.
- THRIVE Center (United Way Houston)
- For some companies, check with your employer's "Employee Assistance Program" for referrals to credit counseling.
The information provided by external resources - including third-party websites - is designed to provide helpful information on topics and community resources. HCC does not endorse or accept responsibility for the content, use, or availability of resources provided by external websites or agencies. HCC makes no representations as to the eligibility of any particular student to receive any benefit or the effects – such as those impacting immigration status – that accepting a resource may have on a student. Students in populations that may have specific additional needs are encouraged to seek advice from a relevant professional or reputable resources, such as immigration counsel or a qualified website.