About the Program
Horticulture is the art and science of cultivating plants. In the past, this referred to agriculture and simple gardening.
AWARD TYPES: Associate of Applied Science, Occupational Skills Award
AREA OF STUDY: Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
Degrees and Certificates
Learn more about the Degrees and Certificates offered by this program by visiting the HCC Catalog.View Degrees & Certificates by Program
The Horticulture Technology program offers the basic knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level jobs and careers in horticulture. Students considering continuing their studies in Horticulture at a four-year college are responsible for reviewing that college’s baccalaureate degree requirements and for consulting with an HCC counselor in planning their degree program.
In addition, please note that a student may only earn one Occupational Skills Award (OSA) per academic year.
Students will be able to:
- Identify key landscape plants, economic crops, insects, pests, and diseases and be able to manage them where they exist in the environment.
- Utilize principles of biology, particularly as they apply to plant propagation and growth and the management of landscape pests and diseases.
- Apply extensive practical knowledge in the management of materials and resources in areas such as fertilization, irrigation, pest management, and greenhouses.
- Demonstrate the ability to locate, apply for, interview, and keep a professional position in the workplace.
TSI testing is required prior to first enrollment.
There are 294 First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers employed in the Greater Houston Area. This number is expected to increase by 0.3% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 9 jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $24.66 hourly, $51,280 annually
- Employment Number of 101,390 according to the bureau of labor statistics.
Learn more about the marketable skills—skills valued by employers that can be applied in variety of work settings—so you can communicate these to potential employers. Click on the relevant award title below to see descriptions of marketable skills for that area.
Landscaping Operations & Management, A.A.S.