The Ultimate Veteran Student Experience
Contact the District Office of Veterans Affairs Staff
|Name||Telephone Number||Email Address|
Rodney McLaurin, Interim Director
|Paul Calhoun, Coordinator||
|Ana Canek, Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Terri Goode-Tomlin, Academic Advisor
Sonya Scott-King, Academic Advisor
Kathleen Rayburn, PT VA Assistant
(Chapter 33: A, B, J, L, M, Q)
Kiki Hebert, Certifying Official
(Chapter 33: G, I, K, Ra-Rl, T, U, W)
Paul Calhoun, Coordinator
(Chapter 33: D, E, F, H, O, P, Rm-Rz)
| Kapree Thomas, Certifying Official
(Chapter 33: C, N, S, V, X, Y, Z)
(Chapter 31, Tuition Assistance, MyCAA)
|Brandie Maynard, VA Assistant
(Chapter 30, 35, 1606, 1607)
|Lucrecia Hembree, VA Assistant
|Luis Polanco De Leon, VA Assistantemail@example.com|
Apply for HCC Admission
We're excited that you're joining the HCC Veterans community.
You should follow the four steps below. Our Veterans Resource Centers are here to help you with any questions or needs. You may also contact our Veterans Call Center at 713-718-8522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the HCC Admission Application.
Apply for VA Educational Benefits by Submitting the VONAPP
All students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit a VONAPP and call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551.
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
- Chapter 30 (Active Duty) - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
- Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve) Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Chapter 1607 (REAP) Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
- Chapter 35 (Dependents) - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
- Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability) - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
- MyCAA - Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.
- Hazlewood - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
- Tuition Assistance - The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.
- Guests/Concurrent Student- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.
Submit Required Documents to Begin using your Approved Educational Benefit
There is a HCC Checklist of Instructions available for your approved educational benefit. Please view the Forms and Checklists page to learn more about the documents required to begin using your approved educational benefit.
Complete Academic Processes
Join the HCC Veterans Community
Important Information for Students
VA Service Indicator
VA Service Indicator Removal Process
HCC students using VA education benefits must submit a Veterans Affairs Certification Request each time they enroll in HCC classes. Doing so, releases the service indicator form their accounts. The purpose of the indicator is to ensure that our office is notified once a student adds, drops, or swaps classes. Additionally, it will also minimize the occurrence of students receiving VA educational benefit debts. This indicator will automatically be placed on your account every Monday and Thursday at 10:59pm. It is removed on a first come, first serve basis. However, all indicators are removed by the close of business daily except on weekends and college holidays.
When registration is open, all Veteran students will have one opportunity to register for classes without an impact from the hold. However, if you place classes in your shopping cart and DO NOT complete the entire enrollment process the system will recognize that you have exhausted your one opportunity and the indicator will be enforced. Then, you will have to complete another Veterans Affairs Certification Request. Another Veterans Affairs Certification Request must also be submitted when there is a change in your enrollment (add, drop, swap, class cancellation, and withdrawal).
Training Time - Basic Allowances
- 12 credit hours= full time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 9-11 credit hours=3/4 status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 6-8 credit hours=1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 4-5 credit hours=less than 1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 1-3 credit hours=1/4 time or less status (Regular Term & Second Start)
Summer training time:
- 8 credit hours=full time status during the 10 week summer session
- 4 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 1 session or S1
- 4 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 2 session. or S2
Change of Degree Plan
You may also fax your new degree plan, along with the change of degree plan form and a cover letter, to VA Office at 713-718-8444.
Meet with an academic advisor to update your degree plan at least once each year.
Process for Graduation:
Please file for graduation through your HCC academic advisor prior to your last semester.
Meet with an advisor to update your degree plan and verify that you have completed all the necessary coursework and institutional requirements. This will show all work completed prior to the semester of graduation, courses in progress, transfer work applied to your degree, and any course substitutions and approvals.
Applications should be filed either the semester prior to or the semester in which the student plans to graduate. Students should complete the Application for Degree/Certificate online.
Nov 11, 2016
The annual event included presentations by HCC Chancellor Cesar Maldonado and State of Texas officials.
Jan 7, 2016
During orientation, we will provide information on accessing Veteran Educational benefits, additional funding opportunities, HCC Veteran organizations, and both college and community resources available that support Veteran student success.
Oct 13, 2014
Houston Community College is one of more than a dozen Texas colleges participating in a program to put veterans to work.
Apr 27, 2015
The Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program is offering $4 million in grants to help an estimated 2,000 veterans successfully transition from homelessness to sustainable housing and good civilian jobs.
Jul 10, 2015
VA educational benefits help pay for school with programs like the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, Veterans Job Training, and Spouses, Dependents, and Survivors Eligibility.
- 5 Apr
HCC Northline Campus
A financial seminar to provide practical decision-making tools.