About Child Care
Welcome to the Houston Community College Southwest Child Care home page. We provide funding to daycare facilities for HCC students taking classes at HCC campus. HCC Southwest College offers Carl D. Perkins Grant for child care assistance for the students enrolled at Southwest College Campuses, including: West Loop, Stafford, Gulfton, Brays Oaks and Missouri City campuses.
Child Care Information
Pursuing a technical/vocational major?
About the Carl D. Perkins Grant
The Carl D. Perkins Grant is provided by federal funds through the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 for the promotion of career and technical education (Texas Higher Educational Coordinating Board, 2010). The grant allots a maximum of $20/day for the duration a student, pursuing a technical/vocational major, is enrolled in classes on campus. To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Technical/Vocational Major
- Degree plan on record
- Academic progress pursuing degree plan; minimum grade point average is 2.000
- Enroll in college-level courses (developmental courses are ineligible); minimum enrollment of six credit hours required
- Enroll in on-campus classes at the college where applying
Required Application Documents
If a student has met the criteria for a technical/vocational major, the following documents must be provided at the time of the application process:
- Proof of financial need
- Current class schedule
- Receipt of full payment of classes or pending financial aid
- Degree plan
- One form of identification, including social security cards
- Birth certificates of child or children (maximum number of children allowed is three)
If a student is approved for assistance, a licensed daycare facility will need to be selected. The child care representative will provide additional forms to be completed by the director of the facility at the time of the application process. In addition, the student will be required to complete six (6) hours of volunteer service for the semester.
I have been accepted, now what?
First and foremost, congratulations on your acceptance into the program! Now you need to ensure that you maintain eligibility by adhering to the following:
- Do not drop below the six hours minimum enrollment requirement; if you must withdraw from your classes, contact the child care representative immediately as funding may cease
- If your child will be absent from the daycare facility for an extended period of time, contact the child care representative so they can make a note of it in your file
- Any changes to your contact information must be relayed to the child care representative
- It is recommended that you complete your volunteer hours early, and turn it in to the child care representative so that you may have more time to study for finals
- Make sure you pass your classes
If you have any questions, contact the Child Care Representative.